Lemon Butter Scallop: Recipe and Pairing
PAN SEARED LEMON BUTTER GARLIC SCALLOPS w/ CAULIFLOWER RISOTTO
Paired with 1851 Vineyards 2018 Live Oak White
TOTAL TIME: 30-35 min. including prep
CAULIFLOWER RISSOTTO WITH MUSHROOMS
1 bag Cauliflower Rice or make your own: https://ifoodreal.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/
1.5 lbs mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp avocado oil or grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 sm white onion, finely chopped
1 lg garlic clove, minced
½ cup Chicken broth
½ tsp salt
Fresh ground black pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 TB parsley, finely chopped
1 – 1 ¼ lbs dry sea scallops (approx. 16)
2 tsp unsalted butter
2 tsp olive oil
2 TB capers or fresh parsley
Sea salt or Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
LEMON BUTTER SAUCE
2 cloves garlic
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB unsalted butter
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium – high heat and add mushrooms. Cook until golden brown or about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until translucent or about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked mushrooms, cauliflower “rice”, broth, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and parsley; stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, cover and let sit while preparing scallops.
- Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
- Use a small saute pan and turn on medium-high heat. Add Lemon Butter Sauce ingredients. Cook together approximately 2 minutes (butter should be melted). Let simmer on very low.
- Use a 12 – 14 inch saute pan or cast iron skillet, turn on high heat; let heat up for 2 – 3 minutes then add 1 TB butter and 2 tsp olive oil. Salt and pepper the scallops on one side. Once the butter begins to smoke, gently add the scallops at least 1 inch apart, making sure they do not touch each other. Sear the scallops for 1 ½ minutes then flip over. Season this side with salt and pepper and sear for 1 ½ minutes. Scallops should have a ¼ inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center.
- Plate large portion of risotto on each plate (see picture for reference). Remove scallops from pan and place over risotto. Pour Lemon Butter sauce over. Sprinkle with capers or parsley. Serve immediately.
PRO TIP: Dry scallops are what you want (not wet)! A dry scallop has not been treated with any chemicals additives or solutions. Compared to the wet scallops, they are darker (more of a beige color, whereas the wet scallops are whiter), and they have a more pure flavor.